Nov 19, 2010

They come, and then they go…

Let’s face it: many photographers are gear freaks. And even those that aren’t (or won’t admit) develop a warm bond with the bits of equipment that serve them well for years.

A few days ago, I said goodbye to two DX lenses that have been reliable travel companions for many years: a 12-24mm f/4, and the (once) ground-breaking 18-200mm VR. First on a D200 and later on a D300 they have never let me down on events, family trips and business travel, or wherever else my bag took them.

_DS71099w _DSC6993w 
But since my D700 came along almost two years ago, I fell in love with shooting full-frame again (and, in addition, using primes). So both DX lenses hardly came out of storage anymore, save the let’s-get-out-casual trips where one lens was all I wanted to take, bolted on the D300. After all, where was the better-than-average walk-around lens for a Nikon FX body?

_DSC7003w
Enter the new 24-120mm f/4.0 VR. I confess: I was lost as soon as I touched a copy on Nikon’s Photokina booth. Since then, I waited for the first shipments and serious reviews: would the lens live up to my (and others’) hopes and expectations?

Hell yes, those reviews were great, and some well-known photographers started shaking out the lens as well. So I gave in (without much resistance, I admit) and got mine. The DX lenses quickly found a new home with other photographers that will enjoy and pamper them.

_DSC6999Ew
The few pictures I have shot with the 24-120 so far more than agree with the good news. No, I will not part from my 24-70/2.8 
– that’s a totally different breed. But now I can go out and travel lighter and simpler – exactly what I was looking for.

The big test will come tomorrow, during an extensive Antwerp Shooting Day organized by Belgiumdigital. If all goes well and my initial findings are confirmed, you will get so see a lot from that piece of glass on this blog. Stay tuned!

Gear notes: D700, 90/2.8 – D300, 18-70DX

Click on the image(s) to see a larger version

No comments: