Jun 22, 2009

Birdie


I have no experience whatsoever with decent bird photography. I have read about it and enjoyed many great shots by the pros, and I realize how difficult this discipline really is.

So when this weekend, out on a group shooting day at a 'safari park' in the south of the Netherlands, we decided to give it a try during a public show featuring various birds of prey, I had little hope to hit a keeper. I guess I got very very lucky...

This bald eagle youngster came rushing by, only a few meters away, over the heads of the audience. If you (rightfully) doubt about my knowledge of species, know that these eagles don't get their typical white feathers until they reach adulthood.

I stand quite impressed by the focus tracking performance of my camera! As for getting detail into the bird's body against a solid overcast sky: another testimonial to the virtues of shooting RAW.

I brought back more than enough absolute missers to keep my expectations down where they belong. But I do know that I will challenge my (beginner's?) luck again at the next opportunity!

Gear notes: D700, 70-200/2.8VR with TC-14EII

Click on the image(s) to see a larger version

No comments: